Intergalactic Fortune.
Not going to take a dump on anyone or anyone’s belief system
but let us engage and be objective for a brief moment and discuss the reasons
for some of the things we do rather than discuss the things themselves. I'm no expert but hey opinions, we've all got them right?
Why do people believe?
In what? In anything! I mean let me go ahead and start with
a few basics. Horoscopes. I mean come on, let’s be reasonable for a second. At what
point did it seem like a good idea to think that we, as insignificant a species as we are or even as a planet are somehow at the center of some intergalactic
system that allows one to in an extremely vague manner predict the future. That
all these monstrously enormous astrological objects that look like mere shiny dots from our perspective move millions
of kilometers just to allow us to predict the future. The fact that your
horoscope is shared by hundreds of millions of other people and is still expected
to apply to all of you should be a clear indication of how unreliable this is.
Now stop me if you disagree (this made me laugh a little because
I know you actually can’t stop me but that statement helps make this sound like
an actual conversation) but let us look at this from my perspective. We as a
species live in an unimaginably large universe, a universe that is indifferent
of our existence, in a galaxy that isn’t the biggest, in a solar system with a
sun that can be dwarfed by some out there and occupying a space that isn’t particularly
special. We do however have one thing going for us though, our planet was
positioned immaculately at a distance that is both far enough and close enough
to the sun to allow liquid water on the surface, to allow life. By life, I mean
both single-celled organisms and atom bomb building primates.
But I digress, believing, why do we do it? So vigorously at
that. I think it is for precisely the above-mentioned reasons. We truly are that
insignificant, we weren’t even the first living organisms on this planet. To think
that we are truly alone in the universe? Not part of some deity’s master plan? That
the universe really doesn’t care? People can’t stomach that. Believing in
something greater than ourselves gives most people a peace of mind, the thought
that some all-powerful figure is looking out for us makes swallowing the very
many bitter pills life hands us that much easier to do.
To me personally, it is simple, it is easier to have a docile
and tamed population that fears the invisible hand of God, A god or some other
supernatural and unseen force, over a wild and ungovernable population that is
hell-bent on doing as they please because they have come to grips with their
own mortality and the fact that they really do only get one life. But that would
honestly be a shitty society to live in, I mean the world is terrible right now
but I won’t even try to imagine how that one might be.
I think people believe in things greater than them because
it gives them peace, it makes living easier. It is essentially some evolutionary trait or something. It actually makes them better
people (most of the time at least, let’s not dive into the realm of religious
extremists or anyone that believes in the harming of others for whatever
purpose).
If only we could understand that as masters of our own fate
we have the power to make our brief stay on our round blue planet better, not
only for us but for those living on it with us.
Being agnostic and hailing from an incredibly religious
family I’ve learned to respect the beliefs of others regardless of my own
personal feelings.
But hey let’s pray on it.
Shit, wouldn’t I slap a nun to get a “World peace bro. Yeah, seriously. It's finally here! Some constellations moved around and it’s all good times for you and humankind henceforth.” Horoscope reading.
Shit, wouldn’t I slap a nun to get a “World peace bro. Yeah, seriously. It's finally here! Some constellations moved around and it’s all good times for you and humankind henceforth.” Horoscope reading.
Comments
Post a Comment