The Right Sound
I read somewhere that the human brain tries to find order and symmetry in everything. That's why we see faces in inanimate objects, why we love art or music because the idea of a perfect sequence is just incredibly appealing to the brain. I don't always believe the things I read or hear but this I had to believe.
My obsession with music started sometime in high school. I used to walk home some of the time and it was a 2-and-a-half-hour walk, maybe longer if I took a break or slowed my pace. During many of those walks my only companion was a small speakerphone that probably had less than 50 songs on it. I didn't always have my headphones so sometimes Id' just play the songs out loud and didn't care about the blank stares of confusion as I walked by people.
Technology got better and I was able to access and keep more and more of my favorite songs. From mp3 players, iPod nano's and later smartphones. I spent a long time collecting my favorite songs because when I put on those headphones and turn the sound all the way up something incredible happens. The space between my ears suddenly empties and I am welcomed by a stillness I never feel without the music. It's almost as if someone turns a dial in my brain and just like some old radio I switch from constant static to clear sound. I almost feel whole. The loneliness leaves me entirely because I have my many thousand friends to keep me company.
A world void of any light but alive with sound, the melodies and tunes fill me up and take me on a journey. I listen to the artists convey their stories and I listen. Likewise, when I would like to tell my story they listen and provide the perfect sounds to match the mood. Every so often the beat to my favorite songs would drop right on time and sync with my steps as I walk. Only then do I ever feel whole, life may not be perfect but the moments I spend with me songs sure feel like it.
Kanye tells me how when he gets his money right that no one its going to tell him Nothing. Jay-Z explains to me why this is his moment of Clarity. Bruno Mars really wants to Marry someone. Playboi Carti talks to me about his many Shotta's. Francis & the Lights would like us to be Friends with Bon Iver before asking me to a Dance. uSimmy ufuna uk'Hamba Nami and I can't help but play this song One More Time when it comes on. Thousands of stories, thousands of memories, a thousand friends that keep me company whenever I put my headphones on.
I have the best time with the thousands of friends I've accumulated over the years and I am always at my happiest when one of my favorite songs comes on, each time I'm like "yeah, yeah, this is my shit man!"
Comments
Post a Comment