Belonging.
The world has never been more connected than it is right now. We have the luxury to be informed on matters from all around the world, in real-time. Technology is truly amazing. I am always left in awe by just how far we’ve really come. Technological advancements in communication, especially, hold a special place in my heart but with all this communication and connecting we don’t notice just how out of touch we are with the realities in the world.
I often like to depress myself with the idea of just how much suffering exists in the world, I have never seen a war zone personally but I come from a war-torn nation, a nation that is on the top 10 most unsafe places for women and children to live and even though I am far away from the conflict my family’s decision to leave is a testament to the hardships that were left behind.
I think about the Middle East, I think about South America, I think about all the people waking up in a new country from the inside of a shipping container. Rape victims, refugees, and whatever other kinds of suffering you can think of.
The idea crosses my mind more than I’d like. A sort of Survivor's Guilt but I didn’t necessarily survive anything, no blatant traumas or a particularly hard life (harder than most but nowhere near the above-mentioned). I instead, simply guilt myself into a sour mood whenever I get the urge to bitch about my life not being good enough or not going according to plan.
Maybe I just need to come to grips with the harsh reality that the world is both a paradise and a living hell depending on the circumstances you are born into. That I need not accept or be satisfied with a mediocre life and existence just because someone has it worse, that I can vent and bitch and be upset that things aren’t going my way as long as I don’t venture into the realm of being ungrateful for opportunities received. That I make it a point to piece myself back together after a brief meltdown and get to trying to actively better the aspects of my life that don’t please me.
Comments
Post a Comment